Wednesday, February 04, 2009

While the Pan Was Still Out...

My dad makes this delicious orange cake by blending an entire orange in the food processor - rind, pith, and all. I had been wanting to try it myself in a cupcake version.

I thought I would try and fancy it up a bit by using blood oranges. So I present to you Blood Orange Cupcakes with Cardamom Vanilla Frosting:


I was surprised (and a little disappointed) to find that the ruby color of the orange cooked right out. In fact, it turned a little greenish! The cake has a strong, slightly bitter, orange flavor - and the cardamom frosting complements it perfectly (I used this same frosting recipe, but added a little ground cardamom).


This is what it looks like after I ate 1/2 of it for breakfast...in addition to my regularly scheduled breakfast.

I make sacrifices for my craft - I'm hardcore like that.

No comments: