Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle



I suppose we can look back to this tryng-not-to-buy things evolution as I had to pack up my belongings and move every couple years from East San Jose to West San Jose to Menlo Park to San Francisco. One takes inventory..."Do I really need all these books?!" So, that's when I stopped buying books (books, at least - let's not discuss fabric right now).

So in my attempts to go green, I've sort of failed. I put myself on the wait list for Barbara Kingsolver's new book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle at the library, but I was 138 of 145 holds. Too desperarate, I bought the book. But the book is ABOUT being green, so does that negate the fact that I bought the book? I promise to recycle it and loan it out.

I was going to summarize, but Powell's does a much better job reviewing. The message is: eat locally produced foodsources to cut down on oil consumption.

From the book: "If every U.S. citizen ate just one meal a week (any meal) composed of locally and organically raised meats and produce, we would reduce our country's oil consumption by over 1.1 million barrels of oil every week." That's crazy talk!!

I'm only 1/4 through the book, but I'm already making changes. Darren and I are joining Two Small Farms, a program where local, in-season produce is delivered to your neighborhood for pick-up. I'll keep you posted on all that goodness!

No comments: