Saturday, April 12, 2008

Ain't No Challa Back Girl

I couldn't resist the title... I am so my father's daughter (the guy who says we're having halibut for dinner, just for the "halibut"....every time.)



Here's the gorgeous (and slightly overbaked - I did it better next time) challa I made from my new favorite book, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

I also made this Portuguese corn bread....not to be confused with the sweetened cornbread you slather with honey and eat with chili. Although, I did eat it with chili and it was scrumptious.



The idea is, you make a big wettish batch of dough, let it rise once, and throw it in the fridge. When you want bread, you cut off a hunk, let it sit a few minutes, bake it, and voila! You're a homemaker extraordinaire.

How great is that??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some nice buns you got there! What about a wheat bread? Can you let that dough sit in the fridge and grab a chunk to bake whenever? Inquiring minds want to know...

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous loaves! I came across your blog by accident, but am so happy to have found it. Great stuff to browse through.