Monday, December 04, 2006

Hungarian Breakfast Cheesecake

When I was little, my mom was fabulously resourceful (well, she still is). I remember she would make a "breakfast cheesecake" with things we already had in the fridge (that were also probably expired or on their way out). I recreated the cheesecake with fresh ingredients (sorry, Mom) and it is as delicious as I remember...

Anyhow, I was searching the web for a similar recipe because I was just going off my memory, and I actually found something called a "Hungarian Cheesecake" - who knew? My mom, who has Hungarian roots, said her mom used to make it too. So, maybe there is such a thing!

Hungarian Breakfast Cheesecake:

For the crust, take 1 can of biscuits (the kind that poof) and into a pie plate, manipulate & spread the biscuits to make one continuous crust.

For the filling, mix together 2 cups cottage cheese, 1 small can crushed pineapple (drained), 4 eggs, 1/4 cup sugar, about 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and a dash of nutmeg.

Pour the filling into the crust, bake at 450 for 10 minutes, and then at 350 for an additional 35-45 minutes. Peek in on it - cover the crust with foil if it gets too dark. It's done when the center barely jiggles - it's OK if it cracks a little. Cool & serve chilled.

* You can puree your cottage cheese to make a smoother consistency. And I threw about 1/4 cup pumpkin puree in there as well. Maybe next time, I will add a little flour (maybe 2-3 T) to make it more solid.

Anyhow, it's delicious, pretty healthy, fast, and apparently traditional!

No comments: