I'm probably the last to know about (or try) kale chips, but I have to evangelize here a second. They are amazingly light and crispy and so un-kaley! Even my nephew who shuns all things green was begging for these little guys.
Here's how you make them:
- Wash and dry your kale (I've used the darker, flatter Tuscan kale as well as rufflier traditional kale, both are great - use whatever's available)
- Cut out the center rib of your kale and chop into pieces (3 to 5 per leaf)
- Toss with a little olive oil and salt (use salt sparingly, these guys shrink up!)
- Lay pieces in a single layer on a parchment-covered baking sheet (crowding them too much will cause them to steam instead)
- Roast at 350F for 15-20 minutes or until crispy & still green (don't let them get brown! Brown = bitter)
- Check your teeth for kale bits before leaving the house