Friday, April 27, 2007

Why I bake...



I really bake so I can lick the bowl. I've always been a big bowl-licker. I'll take cookie dough over the baked product any day. Brownie and bisquick are among my other bowl-licking favorites. Raw egg doesn't scare me. I know most people will think this is gross.

Ok, ok, I like the outcome too - especially when it looks as delicious as this loaf of banana bread. This is my Mom's recipe that I use and abuse.



I say abuse, because I don't think I've ever actually made the straight-forward version of this. I use whole wheat flour, use only 1/2 sugar, add chocolate chips, cut the butter in half, substitute with yogurt or low-fat sour cream, throw some wheat germ in there... It really never comes out the same, but you try for yourself:

Mom's Banana Bread

1/2 cup butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. ripe banana, mashed
3 T sour milk
2 c. flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 c. nuts (optional)

Cream butter, sugar, and eggs (one at a time). Stir in mashed banana and sour milk (milk + lemon juice = sour milk). In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Combine dry and wet ingredients. Add nuts (or chocolate), if adding. Turn into greased loaf pan. Bake 350F for 1 hour.

No comments: