Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Veggie Delivery - Week 2

Forgot to tell you about week 1 I'm realizing...

Anyhow, Darren and I subscribed to Two Small Farms, a Community Supported Agriculture partnership. Each week, a big box of locally- and organically-grown produce is delivered to my neighborhood where I can pick it up. I can actually get there by foot, it's that convenient (ok, so it took 40 minutes and was 100% uphill getting there, but at least the loaded walk home was downhill - and I didn't use any gasoline). You can subscribe for flowers too, which would sweeten the deal.

This week: red leaf lettuce, strawberries, peppers (the kind pepperoncini are made of), onions, spinach, celery, cilantro, beets, collards, and parsley.

Last week: romaine, bianco di maggio onions, summer squash, yellow chantenay carrots, new potatoes, strawberries, green beans, basil, green peppers, and cabbage.

I made cole slaw, hash browns, green beans with almonds, and have been eating salads all week. The newsletter actually includes recipes that incorporate your week's veggies. It's quite inspiring to get this "gift" each week and make delicious meals with it. And it feels good to be doing good by the community, farmers, and environment.

No comments: